These mini frittatas are filled with lightly spiced mushrooms, asparagus and goats cheese. The lack of crust and the healthy filling makes these small bites an ideal choice for a picnic, buffet, light meal or just a snack.
I created these mini frittatas for this month's Recipe Redux. The aim of The Recipe Redux is to create healthy recipes that are still delicious. This month the theme was Small Plates for Sunny Days.
Well, before saying any more I have to admit that when I began making this recipe I had a completely different outcome in mind and these mini frittatas are actually the result of a baking disaster.
I planned to make little filo pastry cups but I put them in the oven and picked up my phone to set the timer and got completely distracted by something on it. Until I smelled something burning. Maybe it's time I actually learnt to use the timer that's on the oven. Please tell me I'm not the only one to have ever done that.
Mini Frittatas Make a Quick and Easy Brunch Recipe
Well, that recipe may get made again once I've got some more filo but as I'd left it quite near the deadline this month I had to find an alternative. Quickly.
I considered making a healthier version of these Chorizo Cheese Straws as they make perfect picnic food. However, in the end these mini frittatas totally saved me, which is what frittatas often do.
Have you ever looked in the fridge without knowing what to make for dinner and seen a box of eggs and a few vegetables and ended up with a frittata? A frittata is a great way of adding extra vegetables to your meal too. You can fill the frittata with vegetables as well as serving a salad alongside.
I served these as part of a light dinner. We had three each plus lots of salad but they would also make ideal picnic food as they're easy to eat with your fingers and not too messy. They would also go down well as part of a buffet menu.
Recipe for Mini Frittatas
- 500 g mushrooms finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 8 spears of asparagus boiled for about a minute
- 6 eggs beaten
- 100 ml milk I used semi-skimmed
- 80 g goats cheese crumbled
- 1 tbsp mint leaves chopped (optional)
- Gently cook the mushrooms and garlic in a little oil. Lots of water will come out. Cook them until it evaporates and they have reduced in size. Stir in the spices. Cook for another couple of minutes.
- Grease a twelve hole muffin tin. Put a spoonful of mushrooms in the bottom of each hole then divide the goats cheese between the quiches and top each one with a couple of pieces of asparagus. Add a few chopped herbs if using.
- Beat the eggs and milk together then pour into each compartment of the tin.
- Bake in the oven at 180C for 20 minutes.
KEEP IN TOUCH
Do let me know if you make these mini frittatas. I love to get feedback from readers.
Why not sign up to my weekly newsletter too? I’ll even send you a FREE printable.
Places I'm sharing these Mini Frittatas
Simple and in Season, hosted by Feeding Boys
Tasty Tuesdays at Honest Mum